Select an image
Server install image
The server install image allows you to install Ubuntu-Server permanently on a computer for use as a server. It will not install a graphical user interface.
There are six images available, each for a different type of computer:
- 64-bit PC (AMD64) server install image
- Choose this to take full advantage of computers based on the AMD64 or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon, Core 2). If you have a non-64-bit processor made by AMD, or if you need full support for 32-bit code, use the i386 images instead. Choose this if you are at all unsure.
- 32-bit PC (i386) server install image
- For almost all PCs. This includes most machines with Intel/AMD/etc type processors and almost all computers that run Microsoft Windows, as well as newer Apple Macintosh systems based on Intel processors.
- 64-bit ARM (ARMv8/AArch64) server install image
- For 64-bit ARMv8 processors and above.
- Mac (PowerPC) and IBM-PPC (POWER5) server install image
- For Apple Macintosh G3, G4, and G5 computers, including iBooks and PowerBooks as well as older IBM OpenPower 7xx machines.
- PowerPC64 Little-Endian server install image
- For POWER8 Little-Endian computers, such as Power Systems S8xxL/LC Linux-only servers.
- IBM System z server install image
- For IBM System z series mainframes, such as IBM LinuxONE.
For ARM hardware for which we do not ship preinstalled images, see ARM/Server/Install for detailed installation information.
A full list of available files can be found below.
If you need help burning these images to disk, see the Image Burning Guide.